Saturday, October 25, 2008

Brain Surgery

What a week this has been! When I look back over the week I am truly amazed at what the medical world can do for us and how God's hand is in it all.
This week my husband underwent brain surgery to control his tremors. Next week he will have the second stage, but already his tremors have lessened. But the one thing that I marvel at almost more than the procedure is the peace that God gave to both of us during this time. Yes, it was scary. But God was present & we both felt His presence, my husband more than myself I'm quite sure. I cannot fathom the pain there must have been as the doctor drilled a dime-sized hole in his head & inserted wires into his brain -- all while he was awake. I know that God held him in His strong hands, that He guided the surgeons capable hands, and that He carried my children & me as we waited patiently wondering what was happening. There was a sense of calm through it all, and this calm could only come from one place -- the peace of God that truly passes all understanding.

I'm so grateful that the peace was present through the entire process. I've felt this peace many times before, but one time does stand out in my mind. That was over 30 years ago. I came home from a meeting at the church & my husband was gone. He left me a note, but not a very reassuring one. I had no clue where he was and when or if he would come back. I was truly in panic mode at this point. I held on to our kids, I paced, I called my sister-in-law (where I suspected he was heading, and that was over 500 miles away, so there would be a long wait until I knew if I was right), I called a friend who was also a prayer partner. Finally after a time that felt like an eternity I was able to pray about the whole situation. Then, when I put all my worries in God's hands I felt it...the peace that only God can give. Oh how glorious that peace is! Before long he came home. And after piecing the timetable together I came to realize that at about the same moment I trusted God & turned the situation over to Him is when he turned around to come home. And God guided him safely back to our family. The road wasn't smooth & straight, nor was it instantaneous, but it was filled with God's peace.

So I'd like to thank God for His peace and ask that He help me remember to shod my feet with the sandals of peace. I thank Him too for the whole situation because it was a learning experience for me and brought me closer to my creator. Praise the Lord, God is good all the time!

No comments: