Thursday, March 22, 2012

Rat-A-Tat-Tat

We are so excited! We've been hearing a very loud woodpecker lately and hoping that it might just be a Pileated Woodpecker. Dave spotted a pair of them this afternoon. By the time I got out there, I saw them flying down river but didn't have enough time to capture them with my camera. All evening we heard them off & on very near here -- sounded like there was a pecking on metal, but Dave says that they sound like that on a tree. After listening to them on the Cornell Lab of Ornithology (great website!) I quite agree with him. And we've been hearing their call too, wondered what it was...now I know!
This is one of the birds that we've seen only occasionally for the last 39 years we've lived here & one that we've been wanting to add to our photo collection. Now we'll be watching for them more closely. Soon I hope to be able to post one here. :)

No comments: